Started making this on weekends to take into work. Simple and freezes/reheats very well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 7 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 fresh sprigs of thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 leaves of kale
- In a medium pot, heat up olive oil.
- Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add rinsed lentils, stock, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, shredded kale leaves.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, until lentils have softened.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.